Thursday 21 October 2010

Second Hand Bookshops

I had occasion to visit Burntisland today. On eventually finding parking I noticed a bookshop right in front on me. It was a surprise as I didn’t think there were any more second hand book shops left in Fife (excluding St Andrews: that’s a university town – and posh) so as soon as my business was concluded I dove straight over for a gander.

They’re also online, but the picture on the web site doesn’t do it justice. For a start there were books outside, at the door and in front of one of the windows. And they weren’t nicked! Burntisland is your proverbial quaint old town; the roads are very narrow, not having been designed for cars, and the place could fit into the fifties no problem.

The book shop itself is stacked with all sorts – the website says they are strong on SF and Fantasy – and there was a section downstairs also.

I ended up spending £30 on ten books, including a paperback version of Bob Shaw’s The Two Timers. Some of the book prices were quite high – there was a basket with Robert E Howard books that interested me until I opened them up and saw the prices; up to £15 for some paperbacks – but there were also a lot of bargains too.

I got a few books from people I have never heard of: John Sylvester, Master of The World, hard back; Adam Roberts, Polystom, Hardback; John B Spencer, Quake City, Paperback, and some from liked authors: The Best of, Clifford D Simak, paperback, Two Timers, Bob Shaw, paperback, The White Dragon, Anne McCafferey, paperback. The last I’m sure I bought before as the cover looks very familiar.

I’m not sure how long I spend browsing but it must have been at least an hour, and well worth it too.

5 comments:

  1. That looks a nice shop-I like the blue!
    Strange place name-Burntisland! Is that all one word like Burnty'sland or Burnt Island?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good news is that the shop is relatively new. It's not on Google Street View; the shop looks empty on there. I might order again online - free postage as opposed to a half hour drive. But it was good to browse books again, actually touch them and stuff.

    It's personal preference whether the t sound is put with burn or island. Generally it's burnt island.

    We have lots of strange place names here in Fife - they match the strange people, guffaw - such as Auchtermuchty, Dunbog, Lucklawhill, Pickletillum, Moonzie - all real I assure you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So is there a Purdiehilly? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.