Saturday 31 July 2010

Sneaky Waterstone's

I was all set to walk past Waterstone's today. I've spent a lot on books recently and some are still to be read. In fact my to read pile is pretty high now, and in danger of toppling over. Plus I've got a paperback to arrive, and I've subscribed to CrimeWave with an additional novella still to come.  So, I had already decided that I wouldn't be tempted by Waterstone’s and not even go into the shop for a browse. However, the buggers are sly.

Passing the shop I noticed through the window that all paperbacks are 3 for 2, even all science fiction paperbacks. So I went in and had a look. They have changed a lot of their stock too. I looked at PK Dick books but there was only Do Androids ... which I already have. I remember seeing Rendezvous at Rama by Arthur Clarke some weeks ago and nearly bought it but there was no sign of it this week. None of the Classic SF interested me either. As usual a lot of the SF was actually Fantasy and I’ve never been much into that.

I had a look around the crime and mainstream sections too but there wasn't much of interest, so I went back to the SF section and bought three Neal Asher books. I've enjoyed what I've read from him so far. So for my three for two I bought Line War, Brass Man and Shadow of the Scorpion. At the moment I'm halfway through an old pulp, The Spider - I got a reprint of two novels from eBay for under a fiver including postage - but I think I'll let myself sink into one of Asher's novels afterword.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate going into Warterstones because you can guarantee I'll spot something I want (no, NEED!) but I dont have any money to get it, and so it narks me. Now I stay clear of the place!
    I want an ebook reader-download tons of classic SF for free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't noticed them in a while but the Waterstone's I frequent most was selling the Sony e-readers for (I think) a hundred and something. I must say that I'm starting to be drawn toward the e-readers. The only problem being which one? They are multiplying; Apple, Amazon, Sony - and there are lots more. Not as simple as the choice between hardback and paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea they have a sony 300 for £80! Thats gotta be a bargain! I want one, then go to project gutenberg and download tons of free SF books and stories for free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The choices are really governed by the format. The most popular being epub-i think it will become the standard. I wanted a Kindle but the probllem is they're a one trick pony, only using their own format .amz, and they bought up the .mobi format too so that's doomed. The company has started becoming a monopoly- I don't like that. Sony are a quality company and Waterstones have one, the PRS-300, for £80-an amazing price! Could be the one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I posted a follow up comment but it didnt go through it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't a clue what happened here. Suddenly Blogger doesn't seem to like you! All previous comments have been posted without commotion but I have a look at the blog today (Sunday) and find your comments waiting to be moderated. Weird. I also had a problem with BookMooch not sending a request through, leading to the person canceling - that I hear about! Don't they say these things come in threes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very odd! Let's see if thios comment goes thru. I just thought you'd gone on holiday or summat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No it didn't. Sigh. I suppose I'll have to plough through all the settings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you read my posts above? Theyre showing on my end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can read the posts now. Hopefully it's all been fixed. I think it was a setting on blogger where I had to moderate comments from blogs over fourteen days old. I changed it and things seem to be working better now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.